Wednesday, January 22, 2014

New Herbal Essences Naked Shampoo & Conditioner

Images courtesy of Herbal Essences (Proctor & Gamble)


This month, Herbal Essences is releasing their newest line of haircare products: Naked. Naked has three product lines:
  • Naked Volume
  • Naked Moisture
  • Naked Shine
I was able to snatch up an early-release set of products from the Naked Volume line, which is perfect because volume is definitely something I need help on! The set includes four products:

  • Naked Volume Shampoo
  • Naked Volume Conditioner
  • Naked Volumizing Souffle (aka mousse)
  • Naked Volume Dry Shampoo
The Volume line also includes a hairspray ("Flexible Hold Spritzer") but my set did not include that, so I won't review it here. If you're interested, the set can be purchased for $12.99 (USD) here. (Pro tip: Go through ebates.com to get 4% cash back, making the price $12.47, which is decent for four full-sized haircare products! CVS in my area has these normally priced at $4.99. Keep reading to get my thoughts...

What's so special about Naked that sets it apart from other haircare products? Basically, the line is free from dyes. In addition to that, the shampoo, conditioner, and dry shampoo are paraben-free, and the shampoo, and mousse have no silicones. And as we all know, the simpler the ingredient list, the better it tends to be for you. One thing it does contain that I wish it didn't? Sulfates. (Those are the harsher ingredients that cause a great lather on your head, but tend to strip your color if you dye your hair. And I dye my hair darker at the roots to give it some depth, so this shampoo isn't the best match for that...)

The Volume line has a grapefruit and mint fragrance, but it is fresh and clean, definitely a soft, refreshing scent. (Although I love grapefruit, there's one popular haircare brand that has a signature grapefruit scent that makes me gag!) The shampoo lathers easily, rinses clean, and my hair feels clean all day. The conditioner also does a good job of prepping my tangle-prone hair for a round with my Tangle Teezer. It also helps keep static at bay without weighing my hair down. The dry shampoo has a pleasant scent, is easily applied, and works about as well as other drugstore dry shampoos. The mousse ("soufflé") does a decent job as well without making my hair crunchy or gross feeling.

I definitely recommend this line if you use a drugstore line for haircare! Herbal Essences has been a longtime favorite of mine, and I like how it makes my hair feel. It smells good, rinses clean, and works well. Just keep in mind - it's not a miracle worker.

So, in short:
Pros:
  • Dye-free, and mostly paraben-free
  • Smells good
  • Lathers and rinses well
  • Cleans your hair
Cons:
  • Contains sulfates (not good for color-treated hair)
  • Volumizing Souffle contains parabens
Have any of you tried it? What do you think?

Cheers,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!