Saturday, February 11, 2012

Glitter polish

NYC Long Wearing in 105 Starry Silver Glitter, OPI's Crown Me Already, Sally Hansen 150 Glass Slipper, and Orly's Shine On, Crazy Diamond

Lately I've gotten more and more into glitter polish.  Although it's a pain in the rear to get off your nails, looking down at sparkly nails somehow manages to cheer me up every time.  Some glitter polishes have been really disappointing (I'm looking at you, OPI Muppets Collection), but these are four that don't let me down.  And, although similar, they each give a distinctly different look.

From left to right, they are:
NYC Long Wearing polish in 105 Starry Silver Glitter - This polish is a clear base with multi-colored glitter and lots of silver micro-glitter.  Because there is a lot of silver, the different colors in the larger glitter pieces really stand out.  Application is smooth, but takes multiple applications to get a significant amount of glitter on the nail.  This glitter polish cost me about 99 cents at Target.

OPI Crown Me Already (from the Miss America collection) - This glitter polish is pretty standard - a clear base with various sizes of silver glitter.  The formula is packed with glitter, so if you're looking for more coverage, this is a good choice.  It reminds me of aluminum metal.  I purchased this at Ulta for the standard 7-8 dollar price range.

Sally Hansen polish in 150 Glass Slipper - This has apparently been a relatively coveted glitter polish, and I've seen some fervor on Twitter about where to find it.  I picked this up at a local Rite Aid (the one nearest my house has the worst stock - they're sold out of everything - but I've found a couple of others that seem to have larger stock and fewer "vultures".  This polish is a clear base, like the others, but the various sized glitter are white.  The glitter is a little less sparse than NYC's, but not as loaded as the OPI.  I paired it over Essie's Beach Bum Blu and it lightened the color just slightly to a beautiful Carolina blue, giving it an almost starry appearance.  I loved it, and it came off relatively easily as well. You can find this color at your local drugstore, and I think it's around 5-6 dollars.

Lastly, we have Orly's Shine On, Crazy Diamond - This color is definitely the most unique of my silver/white glitter polishes.  It's a clear base with all micro-glitter.  In some light, it just looks like a light silver, but when light hits it directly, you see lots of color dimension.  Unfortunately, this glitter polish is the most sparse of all, and I suspect it's why you don't see a lot of bloggers raving about it.  It's SO pretty in the bottle, but that just doesn't translate onto the nail, unfortunately.  This is nice for a very subtle glitter accent, and you'll need multiple coats.  If you're looking for glitter polish with more oomph, this isn't the one for you.

What is your favorite silver or white glitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!