Monday, January 9, 2012

Healthy lunch idea: Tuna nicoise salad

I snapped a picture of Saturday's light and healthy lunch and wanted to share because it was really good!  It's a [rather large] tuna nicoise salad with grapes and water.  The salad is easy to make - 3 cups of romaine lettuce, 4 ounces of tuna (water packed) from a pouch, tomato wedges, red onion slices, three small boiled potatoes, sliced, and about a cup of fresh green beans, steamed.  I drizzled red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil overtop as a dressing.

The original lunch called for kiwi, but I didn't have any and I had grapes that need to get eaten, so I substituted.  The water went really well, but I thought about light lemonade too.  Of course, we're in the middle of winter, so this isn't the first thing you think of when coming up with ideas for lunch, but we had a freakishly warm weekend in the 60s, so it was nice and refreshing and helped fuel my run afterwards!

If you're new to the nicoise salad, I definitely recommend giving it a shot.  It doesn't seem like potatoes and green beans would be good on a salad with tuna, but it all works together really well.  I got a steamer bag of fresh green beans from the produce section of my local supermarket and they microwaved very well.  I boiled the potatoes in a small saucepan for a few minutes (until I could jab a fork into them with relative ease).  The rest was easy.

Would you eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!