So, I decided to create a labor & delivery playlist. It's perfectly possible that zero music will be played during labor (I've never done this before and frankly don't have a lot of perspective to go on), but in the case of a long and arduous process, I know that a good way to distract myself from the icky parts (blood, needles, etc.) is to have some music ready to go. I listen to my playlist every now and then, just to get in the zone, and I thought I'd share my list here for prosperity. And yes, my taste in music is all over the place and "kind of lame." Whatever.
1. Breathe - Michelle Branch
2. Come Baby Come - K7
3. Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble
4. Doing It All for My Baby - Huey Lewis & The News
5. Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis (A throw to the infamous "ring of fire")
6. Hard On You - Rob Thomas
7. Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen
8. I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News
9. Scream - Michael Jackson ft. Janet Jackson
10. Push It - Salt-n-Pepa
11. Twist and Shout - The Beatles
12. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
13. Could It Be I'm Falling in Love - The Spinners
14. Safe and Sound - Capital Cities
15. Hourglass - Mindy Gledhill (I need tissues with this song!)
16. Push - Matchbox Twenty
17. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - John Lennon
Some of these songs are more about adventure of labor itself (1, 4, 5, 8 - 11, 16, 18), and others are geared more from me to my son (2, 3, 13 - 15, 17). And some are from our baby's perspective, kind of (6, 7, 12).
So, some happy songs, some fun songs, and some borderline-angry songs. I figure it's a good combination to sum up every single emotion that will be involved in bringing new life into this world. There's one more song that I love hearing (despite not being a fan of the artist), but to my knowledge, this song isn't yet available on iTunes, but he's been performing it already on the talk show circuits. The song is Mom by Garth Brooks (get your tissues for this one too).