Sunday, March 3, 2013

2013 Spring Sample Challenge Post 1: John Masters Organics



Hi everyone! I'm back with an interesting little self-challenge I thought I'd share with you all. We have all heard the term, "Spring Cleaning," right? Well, sometimes that means more than just our closets, pantries, and the fridge. It's a good idea to take a look at your beauty products too!

I have a box where I've been throwing all my beauty samples that come in beauty subscription services, Sephora orders, etc. Some things get used right away, but others have been tossed aside for whatever reason, and the collection has been growing for quite some time now.

This spring, I thought I'd go through and start using these products. Who knows? Maybe a future holy grail product is laying in there, just waiting to be used?! I'll take pictures and blog about the products. If you all have tried some of these, comment - let's chat!

Onto my first review!


The first samples I used in the challenge were from John Masters Organics. I can't remember where I got these (most likely from a beauty subscription service), but I've heard good things about "blood orange" scented body wash, so I thought these would be fun to try out!

The bigger packet in the picture above is the Blood Orange & Vanilla body wash. I used this after a grueling session at the gym lifting weights. I was looking forward to showering off and relaxing. The body wash is a clear, orange-tinted color, so it is not creamy. I have found that creamier washes tend to be more moisturizing. My skin is pretty dry, especially in the winter, so I look for products that, at the very least, don't aggravate that.

The body wash smells like a cocktail. I'm not a big fan of rum and rum-based drinks, and that's precisely what it reminded me of. It lathered well, didn't leave a weird film, and I don't recall a scent remaining on my skin. However, I didn't find the fragrance particularly pleasing, so I probably will not purchase this body wash. I'm glad I got a sample and actually tried it out because I hear a lot of girls raving about blood orange scented products. It's good to know that this one isn't for me. 

The other product, the smaller packet above, is the John Masters Jojoba & Ginseng Exfoliating Face Cleanser. This is also a one-time use amount. I used it in the morning in place of my regular in-shower face wash, Clean & Clear Morning Burst Cleanser.

The exfoliating beads are very nice and not harsh at all. Although the packet says this cleanser is for all skin types, the information on the back indicate that this is ideal for people with combination and oily skin. Since my skin is dry, I wasn't sure how much I would like it. The scent reminds me of food and/or other face products (that's the ginseng - I didn't really love it) and its creamy texture with gentle beads was really pleasant on my skin. I didn't experience excessive drying, or tightening or anything unpleasant. The cleanser rinsed very easily and completely off my face. The product claims to help with fine lines, so I was surprised it did not leave my face feeling tight and painful. I liked it! However, at its price point, it's a little too rich for my blood right now.

A full size bottle of body wash is $18.00 (US) and is available on johnmasters.com. The face cleanser retails for $28.00.

Bottom line: Body wash is a no-go. Face cleanser is great, but isn't really an option right now. Maybe in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!