Monday, November 26, 2012

NOTD: Revlon Midnight Sparkle


Last week, I decided to paint my nails a fun sparkly color for the holidays, so I picked up Revlon's new color Midnight Sparkle for something a little different.


The polish is very opaque, and can be worn with only one coat. The base is a deep dark blue with chunky glitter and microglitter in a couple different shades of blue. This polish is beautiful in the bottle, but unfortunately doesn't translate well to the nail.

Application is thick and awkward, which means only one coat is necessary, but more than that causes major "gooping" on the nail.  The polish doesn't sparkle on the nail as much as in the bottle.  From a distance, it's almost like a crackle or just uneven application.  Despite two healthy applications of a good quality clear coat (Seche Vite, which is a thicker, smoother formula), my nails were never smooth or shiny.

I wore the polish for one day, then immediately removed it.  Typical of a glitter polish, removal was quite the chore!  I replaced it with a light baby pink: Teddy Girl by Butter London, which is smooth, shiny, and has great staying power without being thick and gross.

I recommend finding a nice, pretty navy blue polish and then using your glitter top coat of choice, because Revlon's Midnight Sparkle gets a thumbs down from me.

Xoxo,
Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Such a bummer!! Looks gorgeous in the bottle :-( I guess that's just how it goes. Thanks for the heads up!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's apparently an almost exact dupe for a Deborah Lippmann polish, but I'm just not impressed with the formula at all. I will probably give it another try someday. I like most Revlon polishes, but I have run into a couple that weren't impressive. Bummer - the sparkle is gorgeous in the bottle!

      Delete
  2. hey! i found you through the BBU Blog Hop and decided to follow. even though getting to the end product was a pain, your nails looks great!

    http://sincerelyella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!