Saturday, June 30, 2012

TheBalm Haul from Hautelook

Over a month ago, TheBalm was featured on Hautelook.  For those of you who don't know what Hautelook is, it's a discount site just like Gilt and Rue La La where big sales on fashion, home, and beauty happen every day.  I've purchased a winter coat, jeans, and now, makeup from TheBalm.  While the prices are great, the shipping is awful and takes forever.  But anyway, that's not the point of this post!  Onto the haul and review!



Although they had a bunch of different options, I went after the classics with good reviews.  


First up is the Mary-Lou Manizer! Isn't the packaging adorable?!


While this technically doubles as an eyeshadow, I only use it as a highlight color, applying it to above my cheeks, down the center of my nose, etc.  It's a nice sheer shimmer without being glittery, and a little goes a long way!  The first time I tried it, I was friendly with my brush and promptly turned my cheeks nearly holographic!  I'm not well-versed in highlight shades, but this one seems quite universal, and with the healthy size and its little-goes-a-really-long-way, this one would last you a long time!

Isn't it preeeeeetty?

Up next is something I know a lot more about!  Eyeshadows!  A year ago, I was actually more into eyeshadows with a bit of shimmer in them.  I thought they were prettier and more fun, and I just enjoyed them a lot.  Now, however, I'm seeing the beauty in matte shades.  (This is eye color only... matte nail colors will never be attractive to me!)  This palette, Meet Matt(e), is a great find if you're looking for matte eye colors.


Each of the 9 colors in the Meet Matt(e) palette is given a person's proper name, all with Matt as the first name.  I'm guessing they've named these after real people, but I haven't found any information about that.  Anyway, these are mostly neutral shades with buildable coverage, and the pink shade, Matt Chung, is a great highlight shade under the brow.


The palette has a nice feel to it and the packaging is very cute.  I haven't used the brushes that were included (I rarely keep them because I'm so in love with my Sigma brushes) but the palette holds up well and the eye colors, although small, are large enough to accommodate my shader brushes.  The color lasts a long time with use of a good primer.  My favorite is Too-Faced Shadow Insurance.

Another palette that I've been eyeing for a while is the Nude 'tude palette, which is a palette that rivals Urban Decay's Naked and Naked2 palettes and similar ones from other brands.


This palette isn't as full of neutrals as Naked and Naked2, in my opinion, but the colors are basics that every girl should have in her collection.  The white shade, Sassy, is a great highlight shade for your inner corner or under the brow.  I have stayed away from the yellow shade, Snobby.  Stubborn and Stand-offish are the pink shades, with Stubborn being matte and Stand-offish shimmery.  These first appeared too warm to me to be able to wear without looking sickly, but it turns out they look great on the eyelid.  They're very sheer, but you can build coverage for a more dramatic look.


The other shades are very pretty, and offer some more options than Urban Decay's nude palettes, but I wouldn't say that I like this one better.  If forced to choose between Nude 'tude and Meet Matt(e), I would actually choose the latter.  These shadows are very soft and smooth, and I don't experience chalkiness or a lot of fall-out, and they last all day with a standard shadow primer, as I said before.

I have not seen TheBalm return to Hautelook, but I have heard people say that you can find their products at discount stores like TJ Maxx and Marshall's.  I myself have not seen them there, but then again, I haven't seen anything remotely nice at my local stores except decent shoes.  If your stores keep stocked with a great variety of beauty products, then you may want to check them out and see if TheBalm is there.  The products are great and worth the full price, but why pay it if you don't have to?

Xoxo,
Kelly

3 comments:

  1. I only have one thing from TheBalm that I won from a giveaway. I'll have to keep an eye out at TJMaxx to see if I ever see anything there. They usually have good hair products but not much in the way of beauty at the one I go to.

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've seen TheBalm stuff at TJ Maxx before, but back then I didn't know enough about it to know if it was worth messing around with. I seem to recall the outer packaging being damaged or something, so I didn't pay close attention - now I wish I had!! Marshall's had nothing good, but I find that it's more hit-or-miss. What have you tried from this brand?

      Delete
  2. I really like the The balm blushes and bronzers! They're great! :)
    Fee xx
    (Ps. I found you through the #bbloggersunite bloghop & I'm following through Bloglovin since I don't have GFC)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!