Friday, February 24, 2012

Post-workout treat


I recently had a massage (thanks Groupon!) and for the first time ever, I asked the masseuse to work on my legs.  I've been working with the trainer pretty hard, and my legs were really sore the first couple of months.  She noted that I was really tight and she worked them out pretty well - then she gave me some advice.  She suggested epsom salts.

Epsom salt is really useful for muscle soaks.  It helps improve heart health and circulation, and provides some stress relief.  This is because it's high in magnesium!  The typical American is deficient in magnesium, which can helps thwart arthritis, heart disease, stroke, digestive troubles, fatigue... the list goes on and on.  Magnesium is easily absorbed through the skin (and not through the digestive track), so epsom salt baths are a great way to pamper yourself and give your body something it needs at the same time.  My masseuse even used it to drop some water weight and fit into a dress for the holidays, as it apparently helps draw excess water (bloat) out of the body.

Epsom salt can be purchased at any drugstore or Target, etc.  (Obviously, I got mine from CVS.)  It's pretty cheap and comes in large quantities.  I like taking baths every now and then, and LUSH products can get expensive.  Epsom salt is a nice way to pamper myself and rest sore, tired muscles so I can relax and sleep soundly.  I don't find this kind to be overwhelmingly perfumed - it smells really pleasant and soothing.  I think other companies make different scents, but I don't find that necessary.  They don't make the water have bubbles, so it's not a bubble bath.  It's just a nice muscle soak.

I also don't find that it leaves any real residue in the tub when I'm done, which is nice.  The last thing you want to do is have to clean the tub after you've finally relaxed!

Do you use epsom salts?  How do they work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!