Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 2011 Birchbox review



My December Birchbox arrived!  This month's box has a couple hits and misses:

Hit: Benefit's Porefessional
This primer has a slight tint, is lightweight, and helps your foundation go on smoother and last longer.  I already had one from my Beauty and the Bride box from Sephora, so I was happy to get another one to keep in my collection.  It travels well and I like the formula, which is really similar to Too Faced Primed and Poreless.  It also doesn't break out my skin, which is another plus.  Some primers have a silicone feel, which some people might really like, but I just can't get used to it.  I don't like slicking on something that feels that artificial.  This feels much more natural, and it leaves my skin feeling soft too.

Miss: Olie Biologique moisturizing oil
This has five essential oils designed to moisturize your face, body, and hair.  However, it stinks.  At first, I thought I could be okay with the odor - it's sort of a "natural, herb-like" smell.  However, after it "cooked" on my skin, it just smelled... old.  I know a lot of people are big proponents of using oil to cleanse and moisturize their skin, but this just doesn't work for me.  I wouldn't be able to touch anything without making it greasy, so moisturizing my skin isn't an option.  I have fine blonde hair that shows any dirt or oil, so I can't use it on my hair... and I have a good thing going with my face regimen, so I'm not putting it there.  So, this is a miss for me.

Hit: Jouer Moisturizing Lip Color in Birchbox Pink
When I received the Jouer Lip Enhancer in a previous Birchbox, I was actually really disappointed.  It was such a small sample that I couldn't really get any product out to try.  I've heard good things about that product, but the little bit I could try wasn't impressive.  That isn't the case this time!  The gloss is a fun and bright color that is sheer and completely wearable, it's a doe-foot applicator that applies well, it's small enough to fit in any purse, and best of all - it's not sticky!  In the video, I compared it to Nars Easy Lover, but the one complaint I have about Nars lipgloss is that it's suuuuuper sticky.  The Jouer gloss isn't sticky or waxy.  I really like it and am looking forward to wearing it more.  It actually may end up being my first full-size purchase from the Birchbox site!

Neutral: Yogini by Harvey Prince
This perfume smells nice, but it doesn't call to me.  I'm going to wear it a few more days and see how it works with my chemistry over time.  I don't love it (just fell instantly in love with Vera Wang's Princess... YUM!), but I don't hate it.  And the fact that I don't hate it is a good sign!  :-)

I'll pass: EBoost Orange Natural Energy Booster
This is one of those dietary supplements that claims to boost your immune system and energy levels by simply mixing with water.  The claim is that 46,000% of your daily recommended dosage of B12 is somehow something your body can handle is simply ludicrous.  The only thing "boosted" from supplements like this is the number of vitamins in your urine.  A bad aftertaste and "expensive pee"?  No thank you.

The only other thing was some double-sided fashion tape to keep your top/dress/whatever in place.  I haven't tried it out or read up on the product, but might come in handy someday, so I'll keep it around.

If you get Birchbox, let me know what came in yours and how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!